My dad is currently on his (strict) diabetic diet. Hence I baked something that is less sweet for him and my family, for our iftar together yesterday. Since he loves orange cake, I found a simple and yummy version of moist orange cake recipe from allrecipes.co.uk :)
Moist Orange Cake
110g of unsalted butter
2/3 cup of caster sugar
2 tbsp of grated orange zest
2 egg yolks
1 cup of self raising flour
125ml of fresh orange juice (roughly I used around 2 oranges)
2 egg whites
A pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree of Celsius. Grease one 20cm of round baking tin.
2. Sift flour and set aside.
3. Cream butter, sugar and grated orange zest until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
5. Fold in sifted flour, alternating with orange juice.
6. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff and add a pinch of salt.
7. Fold whisked egg whites into the mixtures and spoon it into the prepared tin.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until the cake tester came out clean.
As for me, I just dust off sieved icing sugar on top of the cake instead of topping it with butter-cream icing in attempt to reduce the amount of sugar for the sake of me dad. :) And I must say the cake turned out beautiful and tasty too. Perfect texture, sort of very light and moist cake. As for the taste of the cake, it came out very rich but still maintained a great balance of orange flavor in it.
Good luck! And Eid Mubarak to all Muslims! :)